Tomato soup: the coziest fall or winter dinner. Served with a buttery grilled cheese, it is the closest thing to perfection you might find.
This recipe is easy, healthy, and only uses 1 oven sheet pan and a blender, making clean up a breeze.
- 1 pound tomato of choice. I like Roma but you can use plum or cherry, too
- 8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- ½ cup oil of choice
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dried Italian herbs to taste
- Basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, place tomatoes (if Roma, cut in half), garlic cloves, and onion quarters.
- Coat veggies in oil and toss well. Then space everything out so nothing is overlapping.
- Bake until tomatoes are tender, roughly 30 minutes depending on what size you are using.
- Place cooked tomatoes, garlic, onions, and ½ of the chicken broth in a high-powered blender. Blend.
- Add more chicken broth as needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Italian herbs.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!
Roasting the vegetables is a great way to bring out more flavor. But vegetable broth would be the better choice and no animals will have to be killed for your meal.
I agree with Gretchen. There’s absolutely no need for chicken broth. Veg broth accomplishes the exact same thing and no animals suffered unnecessarily to make this soup. So true with so many recipes.