Getting creative with your recipes is a great way to try something new and get some extra veggies into your diet. (Aim for 15 different veggies a day! Herbs count.) With beet season approaching, this healthy and delicious roasted root vegetable side dish is the perfect addition to any meal. We love to have this dish with Mediterranean or Greek style chicken or a white fish like sea bass.
The star of this dish is the candy cane beets. They have an earthy, sweet taste and, when cooked, the texture resembles roasted carrots. Beets are high in fiber which will promote a healthy gut microbiome. We have learned through a number of episodes of our podcast, SuperAge, that a healthy gut is incredibly important for our immunity, brain health, and nutrient absorption. Beets are also rich in vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium, and vitamin C and they improve circulation while reducing blood pressure. Like beets, carrots are a good source of fiber and are high in vitamin A and beta-carotene which promote eye health. Adding crumbled feta to the vegetables provides healthy fat and makes it a more satisfying dish.
- 3 candy cane beets, quartered
- 4 rainbow carrots, halved
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
- Wash and cut the beets into quarters and the carrots into halves
- Add the beets and carrots to a bowl and toss in olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper
- Add the beets and carrots to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Place the sheet in preheated oven and cook for about 30 minutes, flipping the veggies halfway. Adjust the cooking time depending on the size of your vegetables. The beets and carrots should be tender and easily pierced with a knife
- Once cooked, plate the beets and carrots and top with crumbled feta